Copyright | Super Teacher Ideas : Tic-Tac-Toe Spelling Activity
Activities & Lesson Ideas
Tic Tac Toe Spelling
Submitted by Sandy from Ohio
Grade 4-6 Special Education Teacher
My students love to play Tic Tac Toe Spelling. First, make a Tic Tac Toe board on the chalkboard. Divide your students into two teams. Alternate taking turns, by giving a student on the first team one of the weekly spelling words to write on the board.
If the word they write is spelled correctly, the student puts up the X or O for their team. If it is incorrect, share the correct spelling, but the student does not put up an X or O for the team. Then it is the other team's turn. Alternate back and forth between teams until the Tic Tac Toe board has a winner!
We erase the board and start over playing several games during a class period. Not only does this fun game reinforce spelling skills, but it also teaches strategy in planning where to put the marks on the board.
How to Play Tic-Tac-Spell in Your Classroom
Webmaster note: A huge thank you to Faye and Sandy for sharing this awesome classroom spelling game with us!
Spelling Tic Tac Toe
Another Awesome Idea from Faye in Pennsylvania
2nd Grade Teacher
How to play Spelling Tic Tac Toe:
1. Divide your class into 2 teams. One will be "x" one will be "o"
2. Draw a tic-tac-toe board on the board.
3. Call the 1st person from each team to the board. They each pick a square, it can be the same square.
4. Give them each a different spelling word.
5. If they get it right they get to make their mark, "x" or "o".
6. If they don't get the word right they don't make a mark.
7. If they both chose the same square and get the word right, they cancel each other out and the square stays empty.
8. When a team gets 3 in a row (like regular tic-tac-toe) they win.